GN 00308.030: Indiana Vital Records
Effective Dates: 02/21/2013 - Present
- TN 24 (07-04)
- GN 00308.030 Indiana Vital Records
- A. Process
- Divorce records are available from the County Clerk in the county where the divorce was granted. The cost of copy varies. Marriage records are available from the Clerk of the Court of the county where the license was issued. The cost of copy varies.
- The FO can certify, verify or obtain a free copy unless otherwise indicated below.
- B. Procedure - State Sources
- 1. Address and FO Code
- Birth/death Indiana State Department of Health PO Box 7125 Indianapolis, IN 46206
- FO Code 455
- NOTE: You can find the most up-to-date information from the Indiana State Department of Health . In addition, you can find EIN information here .
- 2. Cost of Copy:
- Birth $10.00, Death $8.00 - extra copies of Birth and Death records are $4.00, each.
- 3. Type of Payment:
- Money order or check
- 4. Remarks:
- Identification is needed for birth or death certificate requests. Click here for information about ID requirements. If an FO employee is the requester, see GN 00308.001B.3. for acceptable forms of identification. The State office does not have copies of marriage or divorce records; it only has an index of records since 1958. Marriage and divorce records are kept at the county level. Requests should be directed to the SSA office servicing the county that issued the marriage license and the county where the divorce occurred.
- Can FO verify, certify or obtain free copy of birth/death record? FO 455 can verify and certify birth/death records, but it cannot obtain free copies of these documents. Requests can be made by e562 or paper SSA-562. The paper SSA-562 can be faxed (317-226-6665) to the office or mailed to the office at this address:
- Federal Bldg., Room 685
- 575 N. Pennsylvania St.
- Indianapolis, IN 46204
- The turnaround time is within two weeks. It takes 10 weeks before a birth record is recorded with the State. Do not send requests to FO 455 before the 10-week mark.
- C. List of Counties
Click here for the most current county information.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.